QUICK AND EASY BREAKFAST MUFFINS
KETO AND BANTING FRIENDLY, YEY!
Soooo, here’s the thing…I’ve been a bit slack these days with watching what I eat and looking after myself. Naughty me, right.
Needless to say, my weight is not what it used to be, sulk sulk.
It led me to think back to the last time I wanted to lose quite a bit of weight, and I remembered how well The Banting Diet had worked for me.
Disclosure: I am not a dietician in any way shape or form. I am merely sharing my research and my experiences. Please consult your Doctor before embarking on any extreme diet.
The Banting Diet is the name I came to know when living in South Africa. While it is not identical to The Keto Diet, it is very similar.
The Banting Diet is a low carb, high fat lifestyle, whereas The Keto Diet is a very low carb, very high fat diet, with the aim of getting the body into Ketosis.
Ketosis is when your body uses and burns stored fats for energy because there is not enough glucose to burn, leading to weight loss!
Ok, science lesson over!
In an attempt to get back into a better Banting way of life, I rustled up these scrummy Breakfast Muffins yesterday. I kinda winged it with the ingredients, ha ha, but the result was deeeeeelicious so I wanted to share it with you guys!
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 4 large eggs
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 5 streaky smoked bacon rashers
- 150ml double cream
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- coconut oil
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (or 180°C for fan assisted ovens) and grease your muffin tin with coconut oil
- Chop the bacon and start frying
- Chop the bell peppers and onion and add to the frying bacon
- Season with chili flakes and half the ground pepper
- Equally divide the bacon/pepper mix into each muffin space. You should have enough mix for 12 muffins
- Mix eggs and cream together. Season with the remaining pepper
- Pour your creamy eggy mix over the bacon mix in the pan equally
- Bake in the oven for about 15 mins or until the egg has solidified and turned golden
- Allow to cool. Store in the fridge and munch when needed
(note to the wise…I slightly overcooked mine hence the rather dark appearance in the photo! Oops, sorry peeps!)
Want all the ingredients and instructions in one place?
Download the free printable recipe card TODAY!
And there you have it. Super yummy, super quick, low carb, high fat breakfast muffins to get your day started the Banting way! Now you have no excuses for missing breakfast.